Mercury-Free and Metal-Free Restorations
For many decades, metal restorations (such as metal crowns and fillings) were commonly used to restore damaged teeth or to fill holes caused by cavities. Today, we are very aware of the danger that the mercury found in metals can be to our health and the environment, and we are fortunate enough to have much better alternatives for restorations.
At Tobias Maynard, DDS, we only use mercury-free and metal-free restorations which offer the following benefits for our patients:
- Metal-Free: The composite material is completely free of all metals, eliminating any danger caused by mercury.
- Natural-Looking: The composite, ceramic and porcelain materials can all be closely matched to the color of your existing teeth, giving a much more natural-looking appearance.
- Stronger and Longer-Lasting: Composite fillings bond better to the teeth and are more durable than metal fillings.
- Better for the Environment: Amalgam is a pollutant that can be harmful to both water and air.
- Safe for Pregnancy: Mercury can cause brain damage and other neurological disorders, making it especially harmful for babies in the fetus.